Friday, June 23, 2006

Review: The Sentinel

I’m trying to see as many movies at the Kingsway Theatre before it's shuttered next Friday. As part of this campaign, I took in the Sentinel last week, a movie that's been widely panned. It’s probably too late for you to see this one in theatre, but you may face a dilemma at Blockbuster some day. The story is simple: a plot to assassinate the President is aided by a mole within his Secret Service detail. The Michael Douglas character, who is having an affair with the First Lady, quickly becomes the target of lead investigator Kiefer Sutherland. I’ve read that this is essentially the movie version of 24. I’ve never watched 24, so it didn’t bother me in the least. The movie is fast and made all the more fun by a fantastic shootout filmed in the food court at Sherway Gardens (pictured), Canada’s best shopping mall, in which the bad guy makes a getaway through Sporting Life. I knew he would, Sherway is just too conveniently laid out. On a rent/don’t rent scale, I give it a “rent”.

No comments: