Friday, March 23, 2007

Everything I Love: Tea Biscuits

231 years after America started the British Empire on its decline, a single commonality continues to unite the former colonies with our homeland. In the U.K., people dab marmalade on their scones at tea; in Canada, Tim Horton's serves up a forty-cent biscuit, zapped in the microwave with a little butter; and in the U.S., they're just plain biscuits, often made with buttermilk and drowned in chicken gravy. You can even get them at Popeye's. This is one of my favourite comfort foods, reminding me after school snacks with a basket of my grandma's freshly baked tea biscuits - perfect with a little butter and a generous dollop of homemade strawberry jam.

Photo credit: chotda

6 comments:

Rick Rockhill said...

mmmmm...those sound soooo good. Thanks for making me hungry!!!

Dean aka Sgt Dub said...

nothing beats homemade biscuits. The ones they serve here aren't bad, the pop up kind, but tasty

Dean aka Sgt Dub said...

Also, I'm listening to Brad Paisley's song "out in the Parking Lot" while reading your site, coool.

David said...

Glad to hear that we contribute to carbohydrate cravings around here.

Sarge, I like your taste in music.My cousin, the Rubber Duck, and I are heading to New York next month to see Guy Clark perform that very song.

Anonymous said...

David... you know what I am going through. Did you have to put a picture of a scone on your page!!!

David said...

Just be grateful I didn't put a picture of a Big Bacon Classic.