Friday, October 20, 2006

Everything I Love: Cheeseburgers

I’ve sampled cheeseburgers from racetracks and vending machines to roadhouses and bistros, and I’ve concluded that debates about the world’s best are irresolvable. I know it’s on a soft white bun that squishes and that it’s so laden with grease that it turns a brown paper bag a translucent grey. Garnished carefully, it's dabbed with relish and mustard, sprinkled with shredded lettuce and chopped onions, and crowned with a slice or two of dill pickle. With a nod to intemperance, gobs of cheese ooze from a melting plank of cheddar and bubbles of fat gurgle to the surface on each bite. It’s set apart from the crowd by an understated twist – barbecue or chili sauce replacing ketchup. Wherever this holiest of junk food grails is served, be it at a truck stop, a drive-in, or from a backyard charcoal grill, I am quite sure of how it tastes.

4 comments:

webber said...

I have to argue with the relish part. There is no place for relish on a cheeseburger.

David said...

Yes, I forgot that you like to prepare your own burger... something I deplore.

Webber said...

Not really... just relish is not a common staple of a good cheeseburger. Most places do not put it on with the usual mustard, ketchup, etc...

z said...

its better when the meat is rare enough that the bun turns bloody. without ketchup. yumm!