Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The American Accent

Canadians on vacation cannot help but meet many Americans. They, quite simply, are the nicest, friendliest people out there. It reminded me of how varied American regional accents are. We have different accents too, but aside from the Ottawa Valley and eastern Canada, they tend to cleave on an urban-rural basis, with Torontonians, Vancouverites, and Calgapeggers (h/t RH) sounding pretty much the same. That I rarely think about this is because American news anchors and actors all sound like urban Canadians. Outside Waterville, Maine, urban Americans in Boston, Detroit, New York, and Chicago have distinct accents that don't get much play away from the local Eyewitness News. My question is, do Americans find this strange, and do they wonder where the people on television actually live?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are forgetting the unique York Region accent. Or, as I believe you put it once, the Newmarket Mall accent.

Funny thing is, I saw a program on linguistics on CBC NW not long after that spoke of the unique development of a York Region accent.

Dean aka Sgt Dub said...

I think they must all watch "My Fair Lady" and practice, The Rain In Spain Falls Mainly on the Plains.

Road Hammer said...

I hate to nag, but it's "Calgitoba".

I also agree on the nicest/friendliest comment. Whenever I go to a resort and find a disproportionate number of Canadians, I know the week is going to be less interesting.