Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Review: Blood Diamond

Blood Diamond is a compelling tale about a subsistence fisherman separated from his family and made a slave in a diamond camp by anti-government rebels in Sierra Leone. Once free, a Rhodesian diamond smuggler helps the fisherman find his family in exchange for information about a pink diamond he had found while panning at the camp. Filmed in South Africa and Mozambique, the movie introduces the sheltered North American movie-goer to the spectacular beauty of Africa while simultaneously scaring the wits out of him with that continent's violent routine. That this is the first Leonardo DiCaprio movie during which I haven't prayed for his gory demise is enough, on a go/no-go scale, to give Blood Diamond a "go".

4 comments:

Dean aka Sgt Dub said...

Looks like a movie I'll have to search for. Thanks

Anonymous said...

I think you'd also like The Departed.

Dean aka Sgt Dub said...

Just finished it, would you believe one of the soliders here had just bought it and I watched it today. Very good movie. Leo was not annoying at all in this one.

David said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm going to try to see The Departed sometime in the next week or so. I've heard that Leo and Matt Damon put in career performances.